27 February 2006

Misconceptions

We´ve left the confines of our mud hut in Kenya but not without many memories to muddle over. It seemed like most of the people we met there wanted to be in the U.S. We were told that everyone in the U.S. is comfortable and rich. They believed you could do any job and get paid a lot for it. They had no idea there was poverty and a journalist told me she wished her grandfather had been an African slave. On top of that they had no idea there are black people in the U.S. and you don´t know how many times we were asked if we were ¨white¨. One person was so confused that they wanted to know how could we be white with such dark skin. Ok, so now I was confused ¨What about all the Black American artist plastered on everything from the Matatus to clothing? We saw more 50 cent stuff in Kisumu than we ever see in Arizona. Oh, well that´s because ¨50 cent is so dark he must be a Luo from Kenya¨. My mouth was dropped wide open. ¨So what about all the other black entertainers whose names and faces are airbrushed everywhere?¨ It turns out that there are people who believe these are Africans coming from some other country in Africa that they are not familiar with. This is all a true story. With that said my ideas of the back to Africa movement are over. If you want to know more you´ll have to read my book.

Today I woke up in Barcelona and walked to a fluhsing toilet after I reached for my own roll of toilet tissue. I don´t have to carry that with me around here but I think it will be a while before I kick that habit. I went to wake up Mateo and our new travel buddy Miss Sylvia ¨Akua da poet¨ Doku so we could cruise downstairs for some free breakfast. It´s a good thing it´s free too because the Euro beats the dollar 1.2 to 1 and money goes fast in this part of the world. So much for being rich. Now that there´s three of us travelling, perhaps we´ll be able to stretch the money a bit further.

We´ll be heading North to Huesca to an organic retreat in the mountains where we´ll have to quickly adjust to consisitent Spanish dialogue. We´re getting our taste of it so far and we´re handling ourselves but between the three of us we speak about 60% Spanish. Let´s see how we do in a months time.

I have a little roll call I want to do. We´re not sure who is following us so respond to this post and give a little shout out to let us know you´re here. We see some consistent names and we are usually really excited to read our blog responses to see if those people have commented but we don´t know if other people are out there but silent. Also if you may, tell us what´s been your favorite place that we´ve visited so far and what is something we haven´t done that you suggest we do.

OK folks, we´ll be standing by to see who´s out there.

Joronda

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm here - I love all of it. I'm seeing the world that I would've never known. Thank you for sharing part of you lives with me.
- Tira

Anonymous said...

salaams
i'm here too! entertaining blog mashallah.
why did u leave Africa so soon? why only Kenya?

Anonymous said...

I'm here and by the way save the date November 3rd, its a Friday. That is the day of the wedding. I thought ya'll would have stayed in Africa for a little longer and see some different archeological and/or geographical sites. As far as my favorite spot, I would have to say the voyage in up the mountain in China. I read that and was wishing I was there for that one...I would love to have that experience. I think that when ya'll are in South America, ya'll should see something of historical significance...I forgot the exact route you're taking but I can pick up some stuff for you to see once I know the route.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Salaam!

Yo, when you guys get to South America, you should rent a scooter in Argentina that tops out at 25mph and ride it all the way up to Guatemala. Che Guevara-style!!! And if you still have time, start a revolution somewhere.

Anonymous said...

sounds as though you are really going to appreciate the finer things in life when you return -- running water, clean sheets, etc...

enjoy your trip -- good to check in every now and then to see where you have been.

take care and God Bless..

trish

Anonymous said...

Hiiiieeee Yaahhh.

I am back in the good ole US of A. Today in the airport I saw a Homeland Security Mountie---aka, a cop on a mountain bike. He was just cruising around on the carpet, fighting terror, wearing a helmet.

I understand your confustion about the ole toilet paper thing, Joronda. I was looking all over the place in the airport bathroom to find that ever present toilet paper trash can, and couldn't figure out where it was.
Anyway, my favorite place that you have been has to be Phi Phi Island, and a place I would suggest that you go would be either Tikhal or Palenque, two Mayan ruins in Guatemala and Mexico respectively. Or, Oaxaca City, Mexico.
Bueno suerte con Espanol. I am flirting with the idea of finding work in Spain this summer, so I can practice the language, too. So, let me know what you think.

PS I will be sending a thorough report on volunteering at Casa Guatemala. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your questions. My next e-mail will be epic in proportion, so I will stop taking up space here.

Anonymous said...

estamos con ustedes, los acompaniamos en cada viaje y lugar que han visitado. esperamos con mucho interes sus viajes in Sur America e America Central. ojala que todas sus experiensas sigan siendo buenas y muy agradable. tengan mucho cuidado, y , por favor, no se acerquen a ningun peligro ni a los malvados. con carino, como siempre, de parte de la familia total en Tucson.

Anonymous said...

Im here!!! You guys seem like you have had such an exciting trip. My favorite places in the world is Asia and Im sooo happy you went to Thailand and Vietnam! :) Can't wait to see the pictures.

Mekayela :)

Anonymous said...

hey it's me this is like reading a book to me because I will be following along and then I don't log on for a bit and it's like a lost a month of school or something and I have to play catch up all over again. Although lately my daily routine consists of work, breakfast, luch, go home, dinner, knap, sleep. I am still excited to tell people where youu are in the country, at work they come up to me and say where is she now and I can rattle off where you guys have been and where you are going next, and people are like wow that's cool. At first they would say boy, your sister and her husband must be rich and then I explain to them as well as I can the relief efforts your experiences and the work that you guys are lucky enough to find and they are like wow.
Anyway I love you guys and I am here.

Tascha. : - ) xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Salaamz,

Hey guys! I pop in every now and then too!!! Its soo interesting reading your experiences... i feel like im experienceing them through you guys.

Stay safe you two and keep up the good work!!!

-sumaya
(ole' school tempe, now in riverside, CA)

Angelica said...

i think your image of the back to africa movement might have been different if you had visited countries along the western coast where the majority of slaves were taken from. they are much more aware of african american culture there and seem to understand the history of slavery. but, to be honest, there are black folk right here in phoenix who are just as ignorant of african culture. you would think in an increasingly globalized culture, we'd know more about one another. i can't wait for the book :)

Angelica said...

oops, didn't read the rest of the post. this ANGELICA and i read your blog constantly. it is my morning fix when i get to work. i loved your visit to vietnam the best i think. i also loved the imagery of that sweaty full bellied imam in thailand!

i think you guys have done soooo much and i am just glad to see a young brotha and sista doing their thing and traveling Allah's spacious earth. my duas are with you. we miss y'all!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy travels in Spain. Your adoring fans need a blog post soon.
I'm drinking artiso tea, FYI

Anonymous said...

I am just happy to know that you are both okay and experiencing this for all of us who aren't brave enough to try.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi Joronda and Mateo!!

I'm still following your blogs and living vicariously through your exciting adventures. Reading about your experiences is a learning tool for me as well. Personally, I enjoyed the horrowing tale from your time in China hiking up that mountain to the "bridge" and then down again. What a real bonding moment for the two of you!

Still looking for the right person to "pay it forward" but after reading your latest Spain blog and feel that I should just return the kindness to you.

Keep Safe!

Taryn

Anonymous said...

Salaams

This is my first time on the blog, it is so cool!!! I am so sorry it took me so long. So It will take me a while to check it all out. The pictures are awesome. I miss you guys so much, but I am so happy for you guys to see the world and experience it; Mashallah. Insha'allah I will keep you in my prayers, and check the blog more often.

-Aminah

Anonymous said...

Tionna is here :) anyway im back on the net able to keep up with your travels and yea i see you guys are still staying strong. Have a good time in spain and i got a nice pan of gravey and peppers waiting for yall when you get back :)
Luv ya
Tionna

Anonymous said...

Hey you two! I know I'm totally late on the post, but I'm trying to catch up...haven't been on since February! I'm sittin' at work and have already been reading for an hour, but I can't seem to find the strength to log off! :-) The stories are just too good!