20 April 2006

chicken head soup

62 hours by bus and we're in Quito, Ecuador. Not a bad trip since we were able to see the variety of flora and fauna this botanical garden of South America has to offer. I can't say so much for the driving though. Every bus was skidding and sliding around corners, breaking through thick cloud covering and stopping frequently for snack carrying road vendors. We spent most of the time looking out over huge cliff drops and sliding back and forth in our seats trying to get comfortable. It seems like both Peru and Ecuador are lands made of just mountains. We spent so much time travelling through the Andeas I kept wondering if any part of these countries have flat land.

We didn't get much sleep so we are resting for a few days before jumping into our next volunteer opportunity. We are taking in Ecuador even though it feels weird to be using U.S. currency again. It's a good thing the prices aren't the same. We had dinner last night for a dollar a piece and there were firsts and seconds. It was a good meal but when I discovered there was what appeared to be a chicken head in my soup I kept using my spoon to cover it with more juice. Every once in a while the head would turn up and I would see an eye looking up at me. I thought I must have just gotten a special batch but it turns out that was the soup of the day. Mateo ate the soup but not the chicken but I went for it. I can't say I would do it again. Not that it wasn't tasty, I'm just still trying to get over the chicken thing.

So tommorrow it's off to Otavalo where we'll get on another bumpy bus for a quick 4 hour trip to our pueblo.

Joronda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't trip Roni, I found the same thing in my KFC snacker last week... Ironically, a little hot sauce and the chicken head taste like..... well chicken :o)

Anonymous said...

Ya'll ever been to the Chicken Head Convention?

Anonymous said...

wow a chicken head...in your soup, i dont think i am mentally ready for that yet lol. im happy you guys are and have been having a great time. love always Porsche Williams

p.s. i just discovered your blog page

Anonymous said...

The photos are nice. I try my best to not be envious of other folks but I gotta say the trip to China got me. I think so far that is the place I would want to go more than any spot you two have been at or will go to (besides home....lol). I think the Peru trip is probably up there though. Anyway, I'm glad things are going well and ya'll are safe. It seems like my brother is still eating but not putting on any weight. That's all good, not too much weight can be added with some of the food ya'll have described. Shoot, my ass would look like ribs and nipples cuz I wouldn't have ate a damn thing....lol Well, I look forward to the next post....I'm counting the days till ya'll come back....stay safe...much love...