12 October 2005

Working finally!

Well we've finally got what we came for. After a frustrating start in Phi Phi we're now in to some consistent work. Considering we have no real skills to offer and have quickly learned to lay brick we should now be on our way to improving our resumes. It's been 5 days on the island and the weather is humid and rainy (off and on) and the work is hard and exciting. We began in the tool shed where we think some Thai locals gave us pity work but after bending too many of their nails trying to hammer in post they occupied us with a craft project putting up siding for what seemed to be the wall of a room. We were proud of ourselves but slipped off quitely after the break so not to be more of a hinderance to their well working project. We now find ourselves daily at the memorial garden shoveling sand, toting coconuts and bricks, mixing cement, constructing walls, designing mosaics and doing whatever is necessary to get the park up and running. It will be a long project that we won't be here to see finished but the work were putting in is well worth it. The organizers of the project lost their 3 year old daugther in the tsunami. They are cool to be around and Toi the husband works hard alongside everyone while splitting time trying to rebuild his house. Eveyday we drag ourselves back to the bungalow for a shower with just enough time to sit before breaking our fast for the day.

Ramadan began right before we arrived in Phi Phi and the island is mostly Muslim. We'll have to go back and share with you our journey to the island but since we've been here the Thai have been nothing but hospitable. We've broken fast family style daily with traditional thai food. If you know anything about the cuisine then you know we've encountered some spice. Overall a great experience. Recently we discovered a second masjid and more friends. Not knowing the language is a challenge but they know how to say "eat" and we know how to say "yes" so things have been working out just fine.
Joronda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Mateo & Joronda-
I hope this finds you well. I'm happy to read that you are finally on your journey. I will continue to check your website on and off to see how the two of you are doing. Please let me know if and when it is possible to send you mail by carrier. I'm very proud and honored by what you have set out to do. As you gain your experiences, you will aide the world around us. Thank you! I will have to get all of the information from you as I get ready for my journey. Peace and Love

Anonymous said...

hey guys im glad that you are working and helping people out i kno they appreciate it more then you know anyway thanks again for all that you have done for me, i finally got my last package :) thank you m & j you guys are the best dont worry ill keep checking to find out where in the world you guys are and ill have some nice hot gravy for you when you return. love you cousins
Tionna :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joronda and Mateo! You guys sound like you are in to the stuff you planned all along. I am really enjoying the experience you are giving us!! Like Donna mentioned, please post if there is a way to get mail to you or anything you need! Enjoy every moment!Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hey fam just wanted to send a little shout, and to let you know that my prayers are with you, in awaiting your return I will have lots of exciting stories of my own to share with you. I am so proud of you guys and I wish that I could be there to share this experience but I will live it through you.

Love Ya xoxoxo
Tasch : - )

Anonymous said...

Salaams to all. So Mateo how did you get that city girl to do that kind of work? And brakeing fingernails. Just thinking of the kind of work you all are doing makes me run to get my "coach" purse in my "big" house with "central air" and get the phone number and call on my "telephone" to jc penny for a manicure then get in my gas hog of a "broham" and drive to the "mall". (Joranda do you remember what a mall is?) I will think of you while my hands are soaking. thank Allah that I am in Vegas. HATS OFF TO YOU. YOU GOT MY PROPS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. YOU ARE MAKING US LOOK GOOD. THANKS